Friday, April 23, 2010

The Park

Have you ever noticed that in places that are known for their art, people are out sketching all the time, and it's not unusual to see someone sitting and just drawing? Have you realized that here in the States we don't see that nearly as often?

That's why I felt so conspicuous the other day at the park. I sat on the bench, had some cool music on, and was just drawing. People didn't really stay still, so I couldn't draw details, which was ok. But I felt so...so odd, sitting there, sketch pad out, looking intently at people. But for what I saw, I think I did pretty good. :)





But the greatest thing that happened at the park, on that bench, were the three children, who were curious, and who asked.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turn to see two little girls and a little boy. They asked me what I was doing, and I showed them. Childlike awe. They were awed by these little drawings that I had done, drawings that I thought were insignificant and poorly drawn. They saw Picasso in my work. The older looking girl asks, "Can you draw us?" I said yes, but warned them that I was still learning, and that I wasn't THAT good. They didn't care. So I drew them.

They thought it was amazing, so they asked if I would draw their little brother. I did.



They talked to me as I drew, they told their names, schools, ages, and what they liked to draw and paint and create. They told me that they weren't sisters, but best friends, and the boy was the brother of the older girl. They begged me to come meet their Gram, who celebrated the fact that there was someone drawing in the park.

Here's the thing though, my art could have been scribbleing and they would have thought it was good. I could have made tentacles coming out of their heads, and they would have thought it was good. Art to them wasn't about how porpotioned something was, or how accurate the placement of the nose was, it was just a drawing. And I was the girl who attempted, and that was enough for them.

Thos kids made my day. Maybe they made my week. And I'm going to start drawing in the park. And hopefully, I'll meet some more kids, who are curious about Art, and want to be drawn. Because hey, I can always use the practice, and kids are so non-judgmental...it was so beautiful. :)

Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment