Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yes! and "Held"








Why are we so afraid to create? What stops us? What makes us think, "No, I can't do that?" Who says? Who says I can't paint, whenever, where ever, and what ever I want? Who makes those rules? Who decided that to paint you had to be Picasso? Rembrant? Dahli? When and why did people put such rules on art?










Do you want to know what I paint? I paint emotions. All the crazy mixed up emotions that I feel, no matter what they are. I have "dark" paintings, ones that I don't always let people see, because they are my feelings, and maybe that day, I felt like crap. I have paintings that I don't remember doing because I was so angry/upset/hurt/crying/happy/joyous/amazed...whatever. It doesn't matter. And there are paintings that I have where I look at them and go, "YES!" I am amazing. And there are days when there is an idea in my head, and if I do'nt put it out somehow, it will explode in my head. I live for those days.










Here's what happened today:



So? So you may say? What is this about? Why do you think that this is so good? What's so good about this? What's god about this, is that it is mine. Mine. My idea, my love, my passion, and all from an idea I was working on at work yesterday! I have sketch after sketch of this idea, and only when I was painting it today, did I feel led to add otehr arms, holding the people, who are holding the child. Because we are all held, by a power that is bigger than us, and I can only imagion what it would feel like to held like this...in fact, I'm sure I am being held like this, by a God who loves me. Title of this series? "Held"





I haven't painted in a while, and it wasn't until I realized that I hadn't, that I had this inexpliciable urge to go DO something. Last week, I painted a picture of a lone chair. Why? Because I felt like a lonely chair. A chair that wanted to be used and appriciated, and with other chairs. And if that's how I have to express myself, then so what! So what if I'm not the most talented, so what if other people are "better" than me, so what if there are days when my paintings make no sense to anyone else. They make sense to me, and maybe, just maybe, someone else will see it, and say, "Hey, I've felt like that before."




I'm just so sick of being afraid to create because of what others will think. Because, when it comes down to it, am I creating to please you? No, I'm painting, I'm creating, because it's in my nature, and I like to paint my feelings on canvas.

So. There you have it, I had a "Yes!" kinda day, and had I tried to keep that in, I would have s'ploded, and let's be honest, no one wants that. :)

Please, go create something. Anything. Use anything, do anything, stop being afraid. If it's in you to do, then it's there for a reason, and should not be contained...let it be free.

2 comments:

  1. Umm, I NEED the first Held piece on my wall. Pronto. Well, any of them would do, I just like the first one best. Thanks! : )
    Seriously, Maddie, beautiful work, as always.
    You are an inspiration to me, did you know that? I think God put you in my life to get me to think a little more outside my box than I usually do. I get really caught up in what other people think of me... really really caught up sometimes... and you help remind me to be unique and wonderful, just like Y-O-U.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! :)
    I got on a crazy rant there for a while, because I have a friend who struggles with painting, she wants to, she just doesn't, because she doesn't feel like she's good enough, which is silly. Art has become so much of a talent, work thing, and sometimes, it's less of a emotion, expression thing, and those are both things we can all do. :)

    ReplyDelete